ICMPA conducts media and policy research & works with global leaders on domestic and international issues of concern.
ICMPA was founded in 2006 at the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park.
For more information about our programs, research and projects
mail •…International Center for Media & the Public Agenda
……………University of Maryland
……………College Park, MD 20742-1117
phone • 301-405-2419
email • icmpa@.umd.edu
Director of ICMPA
• Prof. Susan Moeller is the director of the International Center for Media and the Public Agenda (ICMPA) at the University of Maryland, College Park. Moeller is also professor of media and international affairs at the Philip Merrill College of Journalism and an affiliated faculty member of the School of Public Policy at Maryland. She is co-founder and a faculty member of the Salzburg Academy on Media & Global Change in Austria, an initiative of ICMPA and the Salzburg Global Seminar.
Moeller is the author of a number of books, including Packaging Terrorism: Co-opting the News for Politics and Profit; Compassion Fatigue: How the Media Sell Disease, Famine, War and Death; and Shooting War: Photography and the American Experience of Combat. Moeller was formerly the director of the journalism program at Brandeis University, a senior fellow in the International Security Program at the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, and a fellow at the Joan Shorenstein Center for the Press, Politics and Public Policy, both at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. She was twice a Fulbright professor in international relations in Pakistan and in Thailand.
Moeller received her M.A. in history and her Ph.D. in the History of American Civilization, both from Harvard. Her B.A. is from Yale University. Prior to her graduate work, Moeller was a journalist in Washington, D.C. In 2008, she was named a Carnegie Scholar for her work on Islam and she was also named a Teacher of the Year by the State of Maryland Board of Regents.
Other Faculty Associated with ICMPA
• Dr. Megan Fromm, Assistant Professor at Colorado Mesa University, and a faculty member at the Salzburg Academy on Media & Global Change. She is also the Educational Initiatives Director for the Journalism Education Association.
• Dr. Jad Melki, Associate Professor of Journalism and Media Studies, and Chairperson of the Department of Communication Arts at Lebanese American University (LAU), and a faculty member at the Salzburg Academy on Media & Global Change.
• Dr. Paul Mihailidis, Associate Professor in the School of Communication at Emerson College, and Co-Director of the Engagement Lab at Emerson College, and the Graduate Program Director of the Masters of Arts degree in Civic Media: Art & Practice. He is also the Director of the Salzburg Academy on Media & Global Change.
• Prof. Deb Nelson, Associate Professor of Investigative Journalism at the Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. She is a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, formerly as the Washington investigations editor for The Los Angeles Times. Before that, she reported for the Washington Post, Seattle Times and Chicago Sun-Times.
• Prof. Leslie Walker, Visiting Professor in Digital Innovation at the Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. Formerly she was the vice president for news and editor of WashingtonPost.com.